Brazilian Chicken Pie ' Empadao'



This is a Brazilian chicken pie. So delicious. The secret is in the dough. This crust is so extremely unique. It is not like a bread but it desolves in your mouth. Literally as you eat it. It's extremely soft, tasty and combined with the filling is really good.

The dough
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 egg yolks (note: separate the white part from the yellow. You will use the yellow and set aside the white part. Which will be used later.)
1 tsp salt

Mix it all together all at once WITH YOUR HANDS. Yes, it is messy but is very needed. Mix it all well until the dough looks like... well dough  :  )

Preheat oven to 350F or 170C
Then take a pyrex and press some of the dough all over the bottom of the pyrex. Covering the bottom and sides completely. This will be your bottom crust. Where you will put your fillings inside of.

Place it in the oven under 350F or 170C for 15 minutes to cook.


The filling
4 Chicken breasts or thighs
1/2 cup heavy cream
mixed vegetables

(For the filling you can use anything you want. I've done it before with just vegetables, with shrimp, with chicken, and with ham. Be creative. But for this time I chose to use chicken.)

Take your chicken breasts or thighs and clean it thoroughly. (You can learn how to properly clean a chicken by searching on the top right hand corner of this blog for 'how to clean chicken') Once your chicken is cleaned.

Prepare a big pot of boiling water and boil your chicken in the water for about 30 minutes of until fully cooked. Once it is cooked. Drain the water, and shred your chicken into small pieces with a fork.

Once your chicken is shredded, return the shredded chicken to the pot and season it with what you like. (I used salt, pepper, all-purpose seasonings) Add in your heavy cream and mixed veggies. Cook on the stove for about 5 minutes. Then place this feeling inside of the crust that you baked in the oven.


Once that is done. Place the rest of your dough on top of the filling to cover it completely. Thats it....

Aren't we forgetting something? Yes we are. We can't just leave it normal. We have to decorate it to look pretty. So I used the rest of my dough to create a nice flower on top. (Now you be creative and decorate it with your style) then brush the egg whites on top of the crust in order to give it a nice shine once you are done.


Bake it in the oven for 15 minutes.  That's it. Your done  :  )
Enjoy


(This savory pie is also nice to do in muffin pans as mini treats, to serve guests)


Print Recipe

Comments

  1. I loved it Elise the flower was great! I like to much this pie, is one of my favorite! But I didnt eat a piece of that one you made!:(
    God bless! kisses
    Paula de Souza

    ReplyDelete
  2. It went so quickly because it was really good, my husband ate it a lot. I am sooooo sorry Paula. I will make it again next week and will give you some. Sorry : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good mrs. elise!! Thanks for sharing i'll see if i can make it soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my FAVORITE havent had it in a while thanks for this one big uppppps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mrs Elise

    I made this one at home. For the filling I put chicken, mushrooms and the mixed veggies.

    One thing, you said to put the egg white aside to use later, but never actually mentioned what to do with the egg whites.

    I just brushed some of it on the top, before I put it in the oven.

    Absolutely delicious, my mom enjoyed it too!

    Kisses
    Lisa
    Cape Town, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa, thank you very much for informing me about forgetting to put what happens with the egg whites. You did the right thing with them. I just updated this post and corrected that mistake. Thanks. I am happy to see that you enjoyed this dish and that you are in the competition to be a better cook : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts